PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A lawsuit that alleges Rhode Island's tallest building was left in un-rentable condition when Bank of America left it vacant in April is due for its first hearing in federal court.
The $23 million-plus lawsuit was brought against the bank in July by Massachusetts-based developer High Rock. The hearing is scheduled for Thursday morning before a magistrate judge.
High Rock says the bank neglected the Art Deco-style skyscraper and left behind crumbling facades and other problems. The bank denies the allegations and has countersued.
The building had been used as a bank for 85 years. High Rock has said it needs extensive repairs and renovations.
It floated a plan to get tens of millions of dollars in government support to convert the building into apartments. The plan went nowhere.