Providence Local News

 

Most back at work after furloughs at RI Navy base

Most back at work after furloughs at RI Navy base

NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) — Most of the 1,100 civilian employees of the Navy and National Guard in Rhode Island are back at work.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel called back most of the 350,000 civilian employees that had been furloughed in the government shutdown that started last week.

Eight hundred workers were furloughed at Naval Station Newport and 300 were furloughed in the National Guard. Nearly all came back to work Monday.

But many other federal employees remain furloughed in Rhode Island, including at the U.S. attorney's office and national wildlife refuges.

U.S. Attorney Peter Neronha says about 15 of his office's roughly 40 employees are furloughed on any given day. He says they've asked for delays on all civil cases. Criminal matters that pose a threat to public safety are being prioritized.

Shutterstock/Stephen B. Goodwin

 

More Articles